Monday, April 30, 2012

Taste Like No One Is Watching

I read an article once saying that one should pay attention to who is watching when one smells or tastes wine.  Well, I am going to be the devil's advocate (gasp!).  I "gasp" because anyone who knows me at all, knows I am a bit of a nonconformist who has a problem with authority.  These can be difficult personality traits for a nurse and a lawyer (my past careers), but not for a Stay At Home Mom (or Wino).

When I was considering what to write about for this week's blog, I thought back to when I first started drinking wine.  I laughed at the thought, because that is when I drank Strawberry Hill (Boone's Farm).  Wow, I really thought it was good!  Okay, so at that time I was not swirling, smelling and was barely tasting.  But a few years back, when I REALLY started to drink wine for real, I knew nothing!  I didn't know what I liked, or even how to determine what I liked!  I watched other, more experienced individuals swirling, looking, smelling.  Why were they swirling?  What were they looking at?  Were they smelling it to make sure it wasn't bad?  I had NO idea of the complex journey on which I was about to embark.

Over the past couple of years, one of the most important things I have realized when it comes to tasting wine, is to trust myself.  What I smell or taste, even if it completely different from what others smell and taste, is my own.  I bring my own history to the table.  I bring what my nose knows!  Also, many things go into winemaking.  Wine can be aged in oak barrels.  The oak can come from different regions and, just as I bring my own history to the table, where a wine originates has its own history.

My past in trauma nursing has made my nose extremely sensitive to the smell of alcohol.  Sometimes it is difficult, and quite frustrating, to get past that scent.  I find myself getting so excited when I can discern some other aroma!  I have to admit, however, that I have contributed some very unorthodox opinions to our wine class.  In reviewing tasting notes over the past two years, I found such adjectives as "plastic doll head", "leftover bonfire" and "lotiony" (which I don't believe is even a word).  Over time, I have become more comfortable with admitting to such craziness.  It is a learning experience - a journey.  Sometimes you will smell what is written on the back of the bottle, and sometimes you won't.  I have yet to see "plastic doll head" on the back of a bottle of wine, but you never know.

One good piece of advice I read was to, literally, take in as many smells as you can.  Be conscious of them, committing them to your "memory bank of scents".  The wider array of smells you experience, the larger your, so-called, database will be to draw from when enjoying your wine.  Another option, and the Winos are investigating this, is an aroma kit.  In this kit, are several bottles which contain the main aromas found in wine.  This is a great idea, since many of us don't know what things like cassis smell like.

Another important aspect of the nose, is swirling.  I never realized how swirling wine changes the nose!  I don't profess to be an expert at swirling, and still have to keep the glass on the table when I do so, or someone (me) will be cleaning up a mess.   Swirling makes a difference!  Swirling allows oxygen to get into the wine.  It releases the aldehydes, ethers and esters which combine with oxygen to yield the bouquet of the wine.  Basically, swirling aerates the wine and elicits a better smell.  You may take a deep whiff of your wine and find nothing to speak of in the nose, but swirl and it can open up an amazing array of enjoyable aromas.

For me personally, the nose has taken time.  I continue to struggle, at times, with discerning what I smell.  It takes A LOT of practice, which "forces" me to taste and smell a lot of wine.  :)  Ultimately, if you are new to the wine game, my novice advice is to take your time and lose yourself in your own thoughts.  Trust what you smell and taste and don't be shy about sharing it!  There isn't always a "right" answer.  Smell and taste like no one is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment