Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Oregon Days 1 and 2

Lisa and I and our husbands have made it to Oregon! It is as beautiful as I imagined and the wine is wonderful. There is so much to share, I will try to hit the highlights so far.

We arrived Sunday and settled into our rental home, The Lake House, just outside of Yamhill. It is a charming home that sits on a beautiful pond filled with bullfrogs. It is fitting our needs beautifully. After settling in we had time to visit two nearby wineries, Elk Cove and Willakenzie. Both had sweeping views that we enjoyed while tasting their offerings. Our favorite of the day was Elk Cove Shea Pinot Noir. We brought some home for dinner that night and enjoyed it with an expertly prepared filet mignonette, creamed spinach, and garlic roasted potatoes, all expertly prepared by Lisa's husband.

Day two we met our tour guides, Fred and Marie Gunton from A Nose for Wine Tours. Fred is very knowledgable about wines and seems to know everyone in the area. His wife Marie, brought some great pairings to go along with our wines. We toured a variety of wineries ranging from the well established to some just getting started. My favorite Chardonnay of the day I found at the first site of the day, the Brick House. The tasting takes place in a wonderful old barn. They age their Chardonnay in neutral oak barrels, allowing the wines to have the crispness of an unoaked Chardonnay, but with more body. If I had to pick my favorite place of the day, it would be Winderlea. I love all of their Pinots, but my favorite was their Pinot from the Shea vineyard. I believe you can't miss with a wine that uses grapes from Shea vineyard! (sheawinecellars.com)

Today we are off to the Dundee Hills AVA to try some wine, taste some olive oil, and enjoy another wonderful day in Oregon. The only thing that could improve the day is if our cohort, Mary Jo, could be here with us!

Cheers,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment