Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wine School, December 20, 2012 - Champagne

Wines

Mumm Cuvée Napa

Color:  Golden

Nose:  Fruity nose with apples and pears, toasty with carmel notes.

Mouth:  Nice tart green apple with a slight sweetness on finish.

Price:  $17.99

Conclusion:  Nice sparkling with a touch of sweetness. We would all agreed it would be a great party wine with appetizers.  This wine was delicious with the dark chocolate with sea salt.

Laurent-Perrier Champagne

Color:  Pale straw

Nose:  Smell just like fresh bread rising.

Mouth:  Dry, more effervescent than the California wine with an elegant finish.

Price:  $33.99

Conclusion:  Lovely elegant champagne, perfect for toasting on New Year's Eve. Surprisingly tasty with Billy Goat Potato Chips.

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin

Color: Light, golden straw.

Nose:  A yeasty nose, like baking bread.

Mouth:  A lovely crisp wine with toasted almonds on the finish.

Price:  $24.99 (1/2 bottle)

Conclusion:  Dry and crisp, definitely a special bubbly. This was also delicious with the dark chocolate with sea salt.

Pairings

Cheese: Manchego, Smoked Gouda, and Brie

Chocolates: 60% Dark Chocolate and Dark Chocolate with almonds and sea salt

Buffalo Style Chicken Strips
Roasted peanuts
Billy Goat Potato Chips


Final Thoughts:

Beth - Sparkling wines are not part of my regular wine drinking experience, and when I do drink them on special occasions and New Year's Eve, I tend to stick with ones from California. Tonight, Lisa did a great job expanding our knowledge of these gems, and introducing me to the "true" Champagne. I have to say I really enjoyed all three of the wines that we tried this evening. The California wine is at a great price point, and would be a wonderful party wine. It was a bit fuller body and would work well with party foods and appetizers. However, I have to say I liked the French Champagne the best with the Veuve Clicquot my favorite. As far as pairing goes, the Billy Goat Potato Chips were surprisingly amazing with all the wines. I could also definitely relive the French wines with some lobster in the future! What I came away with from this class-stop saving Champagne for just special occasions.
Lisa - With the season, champagne was  mentioned everywhere so I thought I would compare American to the true French Champagne of two different bodies.  I am used to the sweet bubbly that we mostly enjoy at weddings and other special occassions.  However, I was totally surprised by the yeasty bread smell of the French Champagnes! Pairings mentioned spicy,  salty and smokey. I do have to agree that the Billy Goat Potato Chips hit the spot with all three.  Since these are not my everyday "go to" wines, I still enjoyed them all and now appreciate the differences.
Mary Jo - While I usually only enjoy sparkling wines on rare occasions, I am so glad Lisa decided to do this class!  Lisa really brought forth some interesting information about Champagne that I did not know.  What a difference in these three "champagne" choices!  My favorite overall was the Mumm Cuvee Napa.  In fact, I purchase another bottle for our at-home New Year's Eve celebration in Arizona.      The pairings were delicious and, I agree, the Billy Goat Chips were wonderful!  I will be enjoying sparkling wine more often after this class!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you introduced me to the Mumm. We enjoyed it on New Year's Eve. I will have to try the "true" champagne soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad we could turn you on to new wine.

    ReplyDelete