Monday, August 26, 2013

Sommeliers - The True Wine Experts

Have you ever patronized an exceptional restaurant to celebrate a special occasion and felt a little (maybe a lot) intimidated by their extensive wine list?  Have you ever been afraid that you will spend an exorbitant amount of money on a bottle (or even a glass), and be disappointed?  Or, have you ever just wanted to try something new and needed some guidance as to which wine will suit your palate? Many higher end restaurants take care of these fears or desires to try something new by offering in-house sommelier service.


Since I started branching out in my wine drinking, I have learned that these well-trained individuals can offer invaluable advice and a bit of education, when it comes to wine.  In fact, while dining at the Las Vegas Wine Restaurant,Aureole, I was handed what looked like an iPad, but was a 3,200 bottle touch screen wine list complete with pairing suggestions!  Talk about overwhelmed!  I didn't know where to begin!  I definitely needed an experienced sommelier to help me navigate this incredible wine list.

If you have utilized a sommelier's services, you know how valuable their knowledge can be when selecting wine.  But the question is, where do these individuals get their training?  They are obviously extremely knowledgable about a vast array of wines, pairings and how to help complete strangers find the perfect wines for their tastes and occasions.

After enjoying an amazing dinner recently at Porters Steakhouse in Southern, Illinois (http://www.porterscollinsville.com), our party was treated to a four wine tasting and a wealth of information from resident Certified Sommelier Jeff Callahan.  Mr. Callahan offered us an explanation of each wine and what we should expect on the nose and mouth.  Mr. Callahan was friendly, well-spoken, and certainly knew his wine.  We spoke to him for quite a while and learned a lot of about his wine-drinking history, as well as his training.



After dinner, I thought a lot about what we had discussed with Mr. Callahan.  I also thought about the Stay At Home Winos, and where we saw our group going in the future.  Our conversation at dinner also made me realize how surprisingly little I knew about the sommelier training process.  I felt that since, from time to time, we utilize the services of these individuals, maybe it would be interesting to know just how they become so well-versed!  We all know that no one can possibly try or be an expert in every single wine that is available.  But sommeliers really seem to know it all!  Here is what I found:

Defined by Wikipedia, a sommelier (or wine steward), is a knowledgeable and trained expert in the field of wine, who specializes in the areas of wine, wine and food pairing and wine service.  These individuals often work in fine restaurants and their role is more specialized and informed than a wine waiter.

In 1977, the Court of Master Sommeliers (CMS) (http://www.mastersommeliers.org), was established under the supervision of The Vintners Company, The Institute of Masters of Wine, The British Hotels and Restaurants Association, The Wine and Spirit Trade Association of Great Britain and the Wholesale Tobacco Trade Association.  The CMS is the independent examining body for the four levels of sommeliers.   These four levels are: 1) Master Sommelier Diploma; 2) Advanced Sommelier Certificate; 3) Certified Sommelier Certificate; and 4) Introductory Sommelier Certificate. As of 2011, 186 people around the world held the title of Master Sommelier.



In Canada, China and the USA, the International Sommelier Guild (ISG) (https://www.internationalsommelier.com) also educates and certifies sommeliers.  Also, the North American Sommelier Association was founded in 1996 to provide sommelier certification.  Finally, in South Africa, the Cape Wine Academy introduced the Cape Sommelier program, leading to the certification as a Cape Wine Master.


Many schools offer classes related to wine.  I did find that the ISG and CMS organizations both offer classes and certifications specific to becoming a sommelier.  The ISG offers schools in Denver, Arizona, Texas, Virginia and Washington.  CMS offers their introductory and certified courses in several cities.

As far as compensation is concerned, a 2012 Forbes article discussing unusual jobs and their salaries estimates that experienced and extremely knowledgeable master sommeliers can earn between $80,000 and $160,000 per year. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/05/25/unusual-jobs-that-pay-surprisingly-well/)  Some articles I reviewed estimate the lower end more towards the mid forties.  However, whatever the paycheck, to me, becoming an expert on wine and being able to assist others in enjoying something I love, would be a treat in and of itself!

I have decided that I would like to begin my journey toward certification.  In doing so, I purchased the book "the Sommelier Prep Course: An Introduction to the Wines, Beers, and Spirits of the World" by Michael Gibson.  I have learned so much in the first few chapters alone, about the history of wine and science of growing grapes (and the art!).  After I read this book from cover to cover, I will decide on my next step.  Hopefully, I can even convince two other Winos I know to make the journey with me!  Stay tuned!!!


Cheers,
Mary Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment