Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Caymus!

One of my absolute favorite higher end wines is Caymus.  I have loved the everything about this delicious Cabernet Sauvignon since my very first taste.  My husband and I had it for the first time at a local steakhouse and fell in love.  Since then, when my wonderful Husband knows I need a pick-me-up, this is what he has in his hand!



Caymus Vineyards was started in 1971 in Napa Valley, California by Charlie and Lorna Wagner, along with their son Chuck.  In 1972, 240 cases of their first vintage of Cabernet Sauvignon were produced, a far cry from today's production of 65,000 cases.  Charlie, Lorna and Chuck ran Caymus for 30 years.  The Winery is now led by Chuck and his two sons, Charlie and Joe and daughter, Jenny. The grapes are grown on 350 acres in Napa Valley.


According to Caymus.com, the vineyard's name came from a Mexican land grant known as Rancho Caymus, which was given to George Yount in 1836.  This included the area now known as Rutherford, as well as the surrounding area.

The Wagner Family of wine includes other well known names, such as Conundrum, Meiomi, Bella Glos and Mer Soleil.





Caymus produces two different Cabernet Sauvignons, one is the "Napa Valley" and the other is the "Special Selection".  I have had both versions, and they are both amazing!  Caymus prides itself on aromas and flavors that can only be attained via "hang time" which is a process that risks the loss of a crop at the hands of an early winter.  This technique leaves the fruit to hang on the vine longer than usual.  This process increases color and produces a suppleness and tannin maturity with a velvety softness unique to Caymus wines.  Caymus also chooses to utilize crop thinning, which allows maximum sunlight to reach the vine's fruit zone.  These wines are full of aromas and flavors that include vanilla, cocoa and cassis!


I have been so blessed to have been exposed to these delicious wines.  They are an absolute favorite, and every time I mention Caymus, I am met with many positive testimonials by Caymus fans.

If you haven't had the pleasure, please make this a bucket list item!  You will not be disappointed!

Cheers!

Mary Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment