Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day to all our fellow Americans!  Today is a special day to remember all those brave men and women who have fallen while serving our country in the United States Armed Forces.  Many family and friends will most likely visit graves of their loved ones or go to parades or just gather for a fun-filled picnic or cookout.
Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of ...
Since I am a wine lover, I still like to enjoy wine while cooking out versus the popular beer or adult lemonade.  So I came up with a few menus that would make any day enjoyable.
 
For the typical cookout, who can go wrong with hambergers and cheeseburgers?  With this option, I would totally enjoy a Merlot. A yummy potato salad or pasta salad as a side would complete the course.  To top off the meal with a little something sweet, I would offer chocolate cupcakes with strawberries and blueberries on top for the patriotic flare!
 
 
Another option if you fire up the pit is BBQ Ribs!  I just love those finger lickin' summer staples.  A good Rioja is what I would pair with them.  As a side to complement the ribs, I would serve a chilled macaroni salad.  As for a dessert, I might switch over to a Riesling to enjoy with apple pie.
 


 
 
For the chicken lover, my choice would be Chicken Kabobs. A chilled Chardonnay would match perfectly, especially on a hot day!  Since the grill is going, add some potatoes to enjoy.  Include a green garden salad to complete the meal.  Top it off with grilled peaches ( maybe over vanilla ice cream :)).
 
For those who still want steak, you can switch out steak for the chicken in the kabobs, because the potatoes and grilled peaches complement well with a good Cabernet Sauvignon.
 
All in all, a good day enjoying good food, good wine, and good friends is the best way to remember those who have fought for the freedom we enjoy every day.
 
God Bless the USA and Cheers!
 
Lisa





No comments:

Post a Comment