Monday, November 5, 2012

A Beautiful Way to Store Wine!

I have not been a lifelong wine drinker.  In fact, if I were to be honest, I spent the lean years drinking Milwaukee's Best beer and various mixed drinks -- please don't hold that against me.  I was introduced to the wine world in my late twenties and really enjoyed it.  I didn't start with expensive wines and, frankly, it took until my late thirties to truly enjoy good wine.  It was not until I started spending time with Lisa and Beth that I began learning about the history of wine, different varietals and how to really taste wine.  I drank A LOT of cheap wine along the way.  Some good!  Some...not so much.  

My Husband only started enjoying wine when he met me.  We have followed the same general path, in that he did not started enjoying better wines until I did.  I am happy to say, while he also enjoys specialty beers, he and I share a passion for good wine.

As we started to accumulate more wine in our home, we began to discuss proper storage.  We asked ourselves, "did we have enough wine to warrant a wine cabinet?"  We also wondered what size we would buy.  Did we want under cabinet wine storage or did we want to invest in something more?  We discussed this with our Stay At Home Wino friends, as well as others.  Ultimately, we decided, if we were going to buy anything, it would be a piece of furniture.  It would be something that could move with us, if necessary and something that was large enough that we wouldn't one day say, "I wish we had more space in our wine cabinet!"

We began our search on various web sites that sold larger, free-standing wine cabinets.  Beth's husband provided great information as to what we should look for when purchasing such a large item. While there are several companies that sell cabinets, we chose Mr. Wine Cabinet (mrwinecabinet.com). Mr. Wine Cabinet has a wonderful web site, complete with many cabinets to choose from, wine storage tips and testimonials.  I was very happy with the selection offered.

I sent an email with some general questions to John McCabe (john@mrwinecabinet.com).  I was so impressed with the prompt response and the comprehensive information he sent.  He truly went above and beyond in answering my questions and was extremely kind.  I can honestly say that this was true even after the ultimate purchase was made.  He kept in touch and continued to answer questions until the minute the cabinet arrived at our door.  While I have not had any questions since delivery, I know that if I emailed him, he would answer immediately.  This type of customer service is impressive and, honestly, rare in today's day and age.

My Husband and I chose the Riviera Window Wine Cabinet.  This cabinet can be made holding 200 bottles up to 600 bottles.  We chose the 400 bottle cabinet with a cherry stain, lights, locks and casters.  There were several choices of stains available and the lights, locks and casters were options, as well.  All the information about the cabinet was contained on the web site, including how long it would take to make and deliver and how much it would cost to deliver.  There were truly no surprises.  

The cabinets at Mr. Wine Cabinet use a single temperature zone approach.  When I inquired about a dual zone approach for different varietals, John said they didn't recommend a dual zone approach as wine aging temperature is the same for red and white wines.  Dual zone approaches are used in stores due to high turnover of wine.  But since (most) households don't have that type of turnover, it isn't necessary to store at different temperatures.  John has a large wine collection and uses the single temperature approach for his wines.  He says that if he wants a white a little cooler than 55 degrees (the cabinet's temperature) he simply puts it in the refrigerator for a short time before drinking.  The cabinet is also humidity controlled.



The cabinet took exactly the amount of time John said and it arrived and was put into place by the delivery service.  It was even more beautiful than I expected!  It looks amazing and is exactly what we ordered.  The only problem is -- we thought we had a lot of wine until we put it in the cabinet.  It made us realize how much more wine we need!  I won't have any issue with resolving this "problem".

The purchase of this gorgeous addition to our home was seamless from beginning to delivery.  I am so happy to recommend Mr. Wine Cabinet to anyone looking to purchase a wine storage cabinet.  I am confident that John will answer any questions you have and that you will be thrilled with your purchase.  

Mr. Wine Cabinet
mrwinecabinet.com
john@mrwinecabinet.com
(650) 269-6342

Cheers!
 
Mary Jo

Wine Word of the Week
 
Frizzante:  A wine that is slightly fizzy, though less fizzy than a sparkling wine like champagne. Proseccos from Veneto are an example of a wine with frizzante.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mary Jo for your thoughtful review and kind recommendation. It was a pleasure to help you with your wine cabinet purchase and I hope you will get great enjoyment from it over the years to come.

    Cheers!
    John

    John McCabe, Owner, www.mrwinecabinet.com

    ReplyDelete