Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wine School-November 13, 2012

Côtes du Rhône, Syrah, and Garnacha

Wines

Rosenbum Vinters Cuvee Syrah 2008

Color:  Purple
Nose:  Dusty earthiness with spice and a bit of dark fruit.
Mouth:  Bright, tart fruit up front with structured tannins, a spicy finish with a touch of minerality.
Price: $12.99
Conclusion:  A great value wine. We loved it with the BBQ pizza. Great for a pizza night date!

Reserve Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone 2010

Color:  Bright, brilliant purple
Nose:  Raspberry fruit with a bit of spice
Mouth:  Tannins were overwhelming, unbalanced after being opened for an hour and a half.
Price:  $18.49
Conclusion:  The tannins were a bit overwhelming for us. We decanted after the first tasting but it didn't do much opening up this wine. It was better  once we started pairing the wine with food.

Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha 2010

Color:  Deep purple
Nose:  Smokiness with some pepper
Mouth:  Big and bold but tannins are more well balanced
Price: $17.00
Conclusion:  Wonderful big bold wine with a great finish. Another great one with the pizza and Chipotle cheese.

Pairings:

Cheese
  • Rembrandt Aged Gouda
  • Boar's Head Chipotle Gouda
  • Manchego
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken
Chocolate
  • Ghirardelli Cabernet Matinee
  • Lindt Dark Chili
  • Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree

Final Thoughts

Lisa:  Well, I kept going back and forth on which one was my favorite, but in the end I liked the Garnacha. To me it had the least tannins and was the most balanced.  The BBQ chicken pizza paired great with all three wines, however, the Chipotle Gouda was fabulous with all, especially the Garnacha.
Mary Jo:  What a wonderful wine class!  I could tell these wines had higher alcohol content, though!  Ultimately, I believe my favorite was the Rosenblum.  My second favorite was the Granancha, with the Grand Veneur as third.  The pizza was a delicious pairing!  I really enjoyed the chipotle gouda with the wines, as it had a very enjoyable spice and paired well with the spiciness in the wines.  The Grand Veneur was better with food, for sure.  I agree that the Manchego was too creamy of a cheese for these types of wines.  All in all, a great class!!
Beth:  I agree with Lisa, the BBQ pizza was great with all three wines. I thought it was especially good with the Rosenblum Syrah. I also think this was my favorite wine of the evening, although the Granacha was a close second. The big, bold fruit of the Granancha really came out when paired with the pizza and the Rembrandt cheese. The one pairing that we all agreed didn't work was the Manchego cheese. It was too creamy for these bold wines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment