Monday, November 19, 2012

Memories and Holiday Wine


     The holiday season is upon us…time to start planning for Christmas celebrations and of course turkey day this Thursday. As I was considering what wine to serve with our Thanksgiving meal, memories of my first “holiday wine” came back to me.

     Growing up wine wasn’t a regular part of family meals. There were always lots of good, hearty Mid-Western meals with meat, potatoes and lots of milk to wash it down.  The exception was at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. That was when my wonderful grandma, Bams, popped open the Asti Spumante! I even got to have a little taste on these special occasions as a girl. The wine was served in the kitchen (in her good wine glasses) as she and the other women were making the mad scramble with last minute preparations. It was always a fun time to be in the kitchen with Bams, my mom and aunts, stirring gravy, finishing potatoes, and plating the food. I was the oldest of the grandkids by a few years so these days made me feel like I was a grown up. Once the food was ready, everyone was called to the table, grace was said, and dishes were passed. There was always an empty seat when the meal began. It belonged to Bams who continued to run back and forth between the kitchen and dining room making sure bowls were full and everyone had what they needed. All this was done with her typical smiling face while my uncles teased her. After much insistence from the rest of family she would sit down herself and enjoy the meal. When the day came that it was too much for her to host the meal, she always showed up with her Asti and when the day came that grocery shopping was a chore, my mom took over the task of buying her wine.
 
 

 
     Bams was a wonderful woman, still missed by us all. Whenever I see a bottle of Asti Spumante I remember her with a twinkle in her eye and a little ache in my heart because I still miss her. So my Thanksgiving toast this year is to my dear Bams – I love you and miss you!

Cheers,
Beth

P.S. I gave my grandma the name Bams when I first began speaking. I guess that was as close as I could get to Grams or Grandma.

Word of the Week
 
 Spumante- Italian word for a white wine that is fully sparkling (about 90 psi-a lot higher that the pressure in your car tires).  Similar to Champagne.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment